"This is a discussion forum about the community buy-out of The Bell. Post away, but if you're being offensive, insulting or over-personal, if your language is excessive, or if we deem you're advertising something not connected with the project, your post will be removed by the moderators."

• Page:

TOPIC:

Awash with Ale 09 Apr 2014 17:14 #7

• bushy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I see that the word 'extensions' has been hi-jacked by some techno company within a matter of minutes, and is now a live link to nowhere. Gary! Help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Awash with Ale 28 Apr 2014 20:16 #8

• yahaira
  • Thank you received: 0

I don't know why I hadn't noticed this over the years, but what with all the rain and being forced to stand outside to smoke these days, I looked up to the inside of the main door the other day and noticed that the inner header has a shallow curve for an arch, and this was the original opening before they put the new facade up around 1740.

It looks as though the doorway may have had a slightly rounded top, and because of the angle of the jambs either side of it (before the left one was blocked to form the lobby) the door was split into two as it is now, and lay flush and out of the way against the bevelled jambs when open.

I will drill a little hole into it at some point to see if it is wood or stone.

The photo in Awash With Ale shows different stonework in that area?

Awash with Ale 28 Apr 2014 20:30 #9

• bushy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I'm not quite sure what you mean, yahaira - as far as I can tell, there is not photo of this area in the Awash With Ale blog. This is taken from the inside of the front door, just the other side of the portico.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds
No Internet Connection