"This is a discussion forum about the community buy-out of The Bell. Post away, but if you're being offensive, insulting or over-personal, if your language is excessive, or if we deem you're advertising something not connected with the project, your post will be removed by the moderators."

• Page:

TOPIC:

The Love Lounge 09 Apr 2014 18:38 #1

• bushy
  • bushy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115

Is it just me, or does anyyone else wince when they have to refer to the the alternative function room in the garden as 'The Love Lounge'?

Without naming names, this title was a one-off invention given to the space during one Ibiza-style Summer of Love, and I have to admit that I too got my free pint for painting a heart-shaped bit of wood in about 3 minutes and very nice it was too.

About 30 years ago, when Bradshaw built the extension (oh no, that word which gets hi-jacked again) to The Farmhouse, he had a brass plaque made which proudly named it, 'The Wilf Cook Suite'.

Wilf Cook (Gawd bless him) was a genial alcoholic who supplemented his nightly drinking by pretending to collect glasses for the bar-staff, but was not too fussy if the glasses were empty or full. I saw him down full pints in three seconds when the owner turned away for a minute. He was - to put it simply - 'tolerated', and his name survived his liver in the form of the extension.

When the old Turkish Baths in Bog Island were converted to a night-club (also about 30 years ago), everyone ignored the exotic official name given to the establishment (The Island Club), and just called it 'The Toilet Club'

If you go up the steps to 'The Love Lounge' and turn right instead of left, there are a few toilets there - as well as Bath's smallest (and most inefficient) laundry.

Rather than call the room to your left anything like they called 'The Island Club', can't we (or you - I'm not a shareholder) re-name it? How about 'The Bathroom Suite'? Maybe not.

Any other suggestions?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevehenwood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bushy.

The Love Lounge 10 Apr 2014 11:29 #2

• TC
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 50
I think we'd have to set up a committee to decide such a weighty issue
How about 'The Committee Room' :S
Tom Chapman, Co-op Founder Member, Board Member
www.thebellinnbath.co.uk
www.bellcommunity.org.uk

The Love Lounge 10 Apr 2014 19:11 #3

• bushy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Shame there is already a Walcot Village Hall. P.S. Sorry about the huge hearts, I didn't realise how big the image was.

The Love Lounge 11 Apr 2014 15:19 #4

• Johnk
  • Thank you received: 6
I agree that Love Lounge is an icky name. Perhaps a new name associated with The Bell would be better: Ringer Room, Clapper Corner, Toll Booth...

The Love Lounge 11 Apr 2014 18:21 #5

• bushy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I'm sorry, but could never accept any suggestions about naming from someone who uses the word, 'icky'.

The last person I heard call something 'icky' was a five year-old American girl.

The Love Lounge 11 Apr 2014 18:33 #6

• Johnk
  • Thank you received: 6
I hope you weren't in the Love Lounge with the 5 year old American girl when she said said something was icky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevehenwood

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds
No Internet Connection