"This is a discussion forum about the community buy-out of The Bell. Post away, but if you're being offensive, insulting or over-personal, if your language is excessive, or if we deem you're advertising something not connected with the project, your post will be removed by the moderators."

• Page:

TOPIC:

Walcot Street consultation 21 Apr 2018 23:52 #1

• bushy
  • bushy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
One of the Flea Market traders has told me that there is to be a 6 week consultation of the future direction of Walcot Street by the city elders in the next few weeks, and he is keen on reinstating the festival with the closure of the street for the entire Sunday.

I said that this would be unlikely given the police attitude to it in the past, but I said I would alert The Bell to the discussion as an interested party.

I am sure that you all already know about it but some of the regulars may not.

P.S. The Council consultation is to cover all aspects of Walcot Street, not just the street party issue that is probably dead in the water, so all residents, shops, restaurants and businesses are invited to contribute to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamesmatthews, John Revell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bushy.

Walcot Street consultation 02 May 2018 13:42 #2

• stevehenwood
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 65
I don't see why we can't close the street again. Softly softly 'n' all. We closed it for the lantern procession last year, and will again...
My only issue is with people who go "oh yeah wow we should do that" without knowing or thinking about how much work it is to make one of those happen.
I'm a member of the Board and a Founder Member of the CoOp. I'm also an admin of this site!
I have worked for the pub in a freelance capacity, and at the Hat & Feather too, since the early 1990s.
I also work freelance for Bath Fringe and for some other festivals. I'm a musician and a writer.

Walcot Street consultation 02 May 2018 16:17 #3

• bushy
  • bushy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I think it was the blocking of the street (by thousands of drunk people) more than the closing of it which the police objected to. When the last street festival was on, Ladymead House was still a residential home for the elderly, and an ambulance had to be called to it. I think it took ages to reach the stricken resident, if it got there at all. There is a huge difference between the street festival and a lantern procession.

The police also commented that the security staff seemed to be as inebriated as the revellers (I couldn't possibly comment about that!).

I think that if people do want a street party and enough people are willing to organise it, a case could be put for a one-day closure on the grounds that Ladymead House is now private flats, and trained security could be paid to be there as they would do at any other festival, but I know of quite a few residents (and regulars) who would object to it if they knew it was coming, not least the residents of The Paragon who have complained about noise in the past. I liked them when I had bolt-holes to escape to (Rod's shop, my workshop in Walcot Rec, etc.)

This consultation covers more than a one-day event by the sound of it. I don't know if The Bell is going to get involved in the 'Future of Walcot Street' discussion, but I think it should.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamesmatthews

Walcot Street consultation 24 Jun 2018 15:59 #4

• jamesmatthews
  • Thank you received: 6
What blocked the street as much as the thousands of drunk people were the several unlicensed and unrequested 'sound systems' blaring out their clashing rackets, each one surrounded by their loyal 'posses'. Sadly neither the organisers nor the police had the power to tell them to cease and desist. I remember being part of a myriad of anxious souls shuffling disconsolately and anxiously from one discordant bottleneck to the next. The atmosphere, which in previous years had been that of a village fete, had become one of urban paranoia. Walcot Nation Days were great, but those times are gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Revell

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds
No Internet Connection