"This is a discussion forum about the community buy-out of The Bell. Post away, but if you're being offensive, insulting or over-personal, if your language is excessive, or if we deem you're advertising something not connected with the project, your post will be removed by the moderators."

• Page:

TOPIC:

How does a band get chosen to play at the Bell? 03 Aug 2019 19:37 #1

• John_Anderson
  • John_Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 21
Can someone advise me on this - we have an excellent local band here (South Somerset) called Hello Hopeville, who play a mellow style of country music. I think would go down well at the Bell and I know they would like the opportunity to play here. How would they go about getting considered for a gig?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How does a band get chosen to play at the Bell? 04 Aug 2019 16:26 #2

• Jon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
If the band email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with audio/video and website links I can forward to our band booker
The following user(s) said Thank You: John_Anderson

How does a band get chosen to play at the Bell? 06 Nov 2019 17:36 #3

• John_Anderson
  • John_Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 21
Sounds like the application from the band in question has been rejected. Is there an appeals procedure?

How does a band get chosen to play at the Bell? 08 Nov 2019 08:28 #4

• Jon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
You would have to check with Steve, but we can get up to 100 gig requests each month, many from national and international bands - so we do have quite a long waiting list :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: John_Anderson

How does a band get chosen to play at the Bell? 12 Nov 2019 20:06 #5

• jamesmatthews
  • Thank you received: 6
The procedure is to email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. giving links to your music plus info on your location and personnel. Steve gets at least a dozen applications per week, and so only responds when he's interested, otherwise he'd spend a tiresome amount of time saying "Thanks but no thanks". He does listen to everything that comes in (I know this as I live downstairs from him). If the first track doesn't appeal he'll try the second and so on. He really is fair. The rule of thumb is that if you don't hear from him in about six weeks then you won't, but if you do we're looking at dates about six months ahead. Not getting a booking doesn't necessarily mean you're not good enough; even if every band were excellent, and even if every band fitted within our range of genres (which is largely roots- and jazz-based but includes may more) it's just not possible to put that many bands on.
A footnote: sending repeated emails or phoning the bar and hassling the staff, who know nothing of this, will not work in your favour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevehenwood, John_Anderson

Last edit: by Jon. Reason: Changed email to the Bell rather than Steve's contact
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
No Internet Connection