"This is a discussion forum about the community buy-out of The Bell. Post away, but if you're being offensive, insulting or over-personal, if your language is excessive, or if we deem you're advertising something not connected with the project, your post will be removed by the moderators."

TOPIC:

Our illustrous Board. 10 Oct 2014 10:47 #19

• bushy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Well said, John, and although I shouldn't have been so personally curt with Steve (my apologies, Steve - I do love your poster reviews, honest!), at least all the negativity has brought you positively back here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Our illustrous Board. 10 Oct 2014 10:49 #20

• Spine
  • Larkhall via Ankara
  • Thank you received: 48
Thanks John. I was worried the tumbleweed would roll in after that little gunfight.

And I see the (sensibly redacted) August minutes have been posted. Thanks for that too.

Our illustrous Board. 10 Oct 2014 15:30 #21

• spooley
  • Thank you received: 14
Thanks for your thorough response, John.

And especially for pointing-out (or reminding me) that board minutes are published to the Document Downloads for members. It would be good if new uploads could be notified in the forums (more work - sorry!) as I don't think the forum/document software allows notifications of new documents appearing.

Cheers, Simon.

Our illustrous Board. 12 Oct 2014 10:25 #22

• John Revell
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Company Secretary, The Bell
  • Thank you received: 196
A good point Spooley/Simon. Now I know why my predecessor Tom Chapman was in the habit of advertising his uploads in the forum! The practice will be re-introduced with immediate effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spooley

Our illustrous Board. 09 Dec 2014 11:05 #23

• PCave
  • Thank you received: 2
(A copy and paste of a Facebook post I made yesterday)
Dear lovers of The Bell.
I made a brief reference to some concerns I had about developments at this wonderful, unique, vibrant place about 10 days ago (on FB).
I would now like to add the following information.This is only after considerable thought and hoping that certain issues are resolved.
1/ My original letter to Members giving reasons for my leaving and talking about the future of The Bell, what can go right and what could go wrong, based on the first year's experiences, was trimmed from four or five detailed pages to three bland and meaningless paragraphs before being transmitted to Members.
2/ A letter I wrote to new Board members, talking about the events of the first year and some of the problems that had cropped up - some seven pages if I remember rightly - was never delivered to those Board members.
3/ Upon my departure, I was reminded on several occasions of the "confidentiality clause" in my contract: a very un-Bell-like situation, that still makes me boggle
4/ Having originally seemed keen to accept my offer to sit on the interview panel for my replacement and to stay on and help train him/her and show them the unique ropes of the place, the Board then suddenly took the view that, far from doing this, I should be kept entirely out of contact from the new chap, despite the many good reasons why we should at least sit down together for an afternoon.
5/ A member of The Board who phoned my replacement shortly before his arrival, in order to offer my contact details to touch base, was subsequently "warned off" by another Board member in what could be interpreted as quite an aggressive way. A report I wrote about this and the complaint from that Board member has seemingly not been resolved.
These comments are all a matter of fact. One can give them what interpretation one pleases. However, I DO believe that Members should perhaps think about transparent and full Board minutes for ALL meetings. I would personally be happy to speak at a meeting of Members if one arises, if invited and if company procedures allow it (as I am not a Member myself). I also believe that Members should reflect on the unique and key roles that certain staff have at The Bell, and upon the equally unique formula, and that they should press existing Board members to retain both of these. This is, in my opinion, necessary for continuing prosperity of this wonderful place, and for its continuing "vibe", which after all if the aspect that led so many to rally round the "Save The Bell" cause.
Message ends

Our illustrous Board. 09 Dec 2014 19:36 #24

• Joachi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Take it from me, Dear - you need a good stew inside you. Come along on Sunday and sort yourself out.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
No Internet Connection