"This is a discussion forum about the community buy-out of The Bell. Post away, but if you're being offensive, insulting or over-personal, if your language is excessive, or if we deem you're advertising something not connected with the project, your post will be removed by the moderators."

TOPIC:

Digital DJ's 26 Jan 2017 12:00 #1

• mikeharrison
  • mikeharrison's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
It has been suggested that we have a DJ night where DJ's can play digital media i.e CD's and MP3's.

This will hopefully encourage wider participation (younger people and women) to DJ.

This would not mean that we would give up our "vinyl only" nights.

I know there is a big debate about sound quality but, with modern equipment, I don’t think this should be a concern.

I support this idea.

Any thoughts welcome.

Mike Harrison (Chair of the Board)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Digital DJ's 02 Feb 2017 04:48 #2

• stevehenwood
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 65
Well OK, if nobody else will reply, I will
I think this is a retrograde step, I think it's nibbling away at another little bit of Bell character for no particularly good reason.
I want the DJs in the pub to be as good and individual as the live music is, and I think in general they are: I'd be leaving it in the hands of the people who have been running it successfully, and not trying to tell them their job. And you already know their position on the vinyl issue.
There has been a suggestion of a Music Producers night, home electronic producers playing their own tunes. I like that idea: just that the guy who suggested it isn't in a position to do it at the moment, but I'm not in the habit of nicking other people's ideas. I hope that will happen in time.

But stick with the vinyl. It's even trendy at the moment FFS. Just the time to be shifting away from it? NOT
I'm a member of the Board and a Founder Member of the CoOp. I'm also an admin of this site!
I have worked for the pub in a freelance capacity, and at the Hat & Feather too, since the early 1990s.
I also work freelance for Bath Fringe and for some other festivals. I'm a musician and a writer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamesmatthews

Digital DJ's 02 Feb 2017 10:30 #3

• Jon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
We have a Facebook post about this which is attracting a lot of opinions/comments - join us HERE

Digital DJ's 04 Feb 2017 12:37 #4

• bushy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I agree with Mr Henwood, even though music is not a top priority for me. It is difficult/impossible to escape digital music in every other venue in Bath, so The Bell is - to some ears - an oasis for vinyl. Having said that, I think you can do some wonderful things by combining vinyl records with laptops and get the best of both worlds - occasionally?

Digital DJ's 30 Jun 2017 03:11 #5

• mikeharrison
  • mikeharrison's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
What about vinyl that was recorded digitally? Is that acceptable?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Towaho, Arborman

Last edit: by mikeharrison.

Digital DJ's 19 Dec 2017 19:24 #6

• Arborman
  • Thank you received: 3
One thing that puts me off the Bell is the utter snobbish attitude to vinyl only DJs, I’m a digital DJ now although I have my roots in vinyl old school original hip hop, and the things I can do digitally are not possible with vinyl. So please Bell get with THIS century and allow any kind of DJ, lots of young DJs can’t afford to hold a large vinyl collection let alone have the strength to carry them to the Bell, so please get off your snobbish high horse and allow all DJs, not just the ones who are trendy vinyl snobs!
Axxx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Towaho

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
No Internet Connection