"This is a discussion forum about the community buy-out of The Bell. Post away, but if you're being offensive, insulting or over-personal, if your language is excessive, or if we deem you're advertising something not connected with the project, your post will be removed by the moderators."

TOPIC:

Community development 01 Oct 2019 18:32 #1

• Duke
  • Duke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
greenverdefarms.com
Organic sustainable vegan health farm
Supplying organic produce
To the bell
For daily hot health food
And housing
Develop our community
In a sustainable responsible way

Let’s discuss
Looking for a farm land
Could be a small portion of existing farm
Offering farm help to owner
Duke
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevehenwood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Community development 14 Oct 2019 13:17 #2

• stevehenwood
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 65
Hi Duke
we were talking about this in person
- yes folks, Duke's been in The Bell, liked the atmosphere, and wondered if we had people that would be interested in this project -
and its an idea I find interesting, but I guess I'd want to know more about what it would mean in practice. The thing with buying the pub was that the initial group (which included me) had preliminary discussions and then came up with a much more concrete proposal, with figures (to start with only suggested figures) on. You're still at the stage before that, which I guess means that you need some more input to turn it in to something that's easy to understand in detail as well as outline. I think I'd want to know more about the practicalities before being able to decide if it was something I wanted to be more involved in. I'm repeating myself here now. The film shows us it's a beautiful place, which is a good start, of course. Some parts of the site don't seem to be working at the moment (like the comments, which might include an interesting discussion)
Were you talking to the people at Radford Mill?
Am I right that you want to do something in England as well as Ecuador? How are they connected?
There are people in this community who are keen on community ownership, but a much smalle number who have much experience in designing a project.
I'm a member of the Board and a Founder Member of the CoOp. I'm also an admin of this site!
I have worked for the pub in a freelance capacity, and at the Hat & Feather too, since the early 1990s.
I also work freelance for Bath Fringe and for some other festivals. I'm a musician and a writer.

Community development 17 Oct 2019 11:58 #3

• bushy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Are you suggesting that The Bell should become part-time farmers, or are you just looking for some people to get involved in an outside project? Duke's post is not very clear, and Steve's has confused me too. Can you fill in some details? You mentioned concrete proposals with figures. What is being suggested?

Last edit: by bushy.

Community development 17 Oct 2019 21:36 #4

• stevehenwood
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 65
I believe it's the latter, Bushy, tho' not trying to put words into Duke's mouth. He turned up in the pub (maybe just because he liked music, or maybe he'd heard we were community owned) and we got into conversation: he wondered if he'd find anyone into the idea. I believe he's talked to other parties in other places too.
I'd have thought there were Bell members who'd like to talk about it...
- but looks like they don't read the forum...
:)
I'm a member of the Board and a Founder Member of the CoOp. I'm also an admin of this site!
I have worked for the pub in a freelance capacity, and at the Hat & Feather too, since the early 1990s.
I also work freelance for Bath Fringe and for some other festivals. I'm a musician and a writer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamesmatthews, John Revell, bushy, Spine

Community 12 Jan 2020 00:51 #5

• Ash
  • Thank you received: 6
Is this about Democrat economy? Circular economy? / doughnut economy?
I like the farming idea if it is.

Community development 14 Jan 2020 15:15 #6

• Ash
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi all,
My last comment on this topic was far from clear. I blame the full moon! To clarify, I have been reading a great deal about community ownership and localisation in the context of the climate emergency and the need for system change that will bring about the rapid transition that is needed to address the problem.
I have become especially interested in community ownership of land for both local food production, as well as the opportunity for Bringing land back for the benefit of biodiversity. So I was interested to hear about the idea that Duke appears to be proposing.
The Bell seems to me to be in a unique position to develop community ownership in all sorts of ways; land acquisition being one of them, with the produce and profits going back into the local community.
Think this topic could be an important one for the Bell community to mull over, what do others think?

Time to create page: 0.695 seconds
No Internet Connection